Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Social Stereotypes


Okay, this post is semi-serious (read: slightly unfunny) But, as my mind slaves, you have to read it. (Sometimes I wonder: Do my mind slaves really exist, or are you all merely projections of my egotistical mind? Do most of  the scarce commenters never return? Have all of my posts even been read? Ah, well, I prefer to live in delusion.)
OOOOKKKAAAYYY, now that that freaky tangent is over, I'll have a short little plug-a-palooza before we start. Ready? GO to my fictionpress (Everwind Master). GO to my youtube (Chicgeek94). CLICK on all those ads you see (I will give you an invisible cookie). PET a squirrel!

Now that you've been brainwashed and have done that, I'll get to my real point. (Hint: see the title of this post) I know all of you know that I know that everyone knows what social stereotypes are, but in case you've always lived in a non-see through, sound proof bubble all your life, I'll tell you. They are labels: Prep, Jock, Nerd, Goth, Emo, Punk, Drama geek, ect. Did you really think I'd list all twenty million of them? Anyway....they stink. I don't know (and I mean KNOW, not just on the surface) a single human being that really fits in one group. Okay, maybe I do (I just remembered some.) But my point is, plenty of people aren't part of just one clique. (Yes, I know this sounds hypocritical, I'll address that in a moment.) Take me for example. I know that I self label as a nerd, but I'm not completely a nerd. I have strong nerdy tendencies, and I hang out with lots and lots of nerds, but I have a non-nerdy side. Sure, I wear glasses, and get good grades, and stink at sports, and love reading with a passion, but I'm 100% SURE that I'm not a 100% nerd. Honestly, I've seen real full fledged nerds (most are in denial. They are some of my best friends. I won't tell anyone which of them I consider nerdy.) and ain't one of them. (Did I honestly just type ain't?) (Wow, this post is going nowhere, it has no direction.....it would be an F if it was an essay. ) Anyhow, I wanted to know something (COMMENT) Do you think I'm a nerd? What do you consider me to be? What do you consider yourself to be? Doesn't this sociological phenomena of sorting people into groups fascinate you? Does it annoy you? Do you ever try to discover the distinguishing features of each group, only to find that they vary in the mind of each individual? Well, let me know! Comment, discuss! GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment