Sunday, April 19, 2009

Angry Math Rant


Okay, it’s angry rant time! This rant is about math. Don’t get me wrong, I love math (see above). I love my math teacher, I have and A in geometry. This rant isn’t about math itself, it’s about me.

    Let’s start from the very beginning. When I was an 8th grader applying for high school, I was also taking an Algebra I class. I really disliked the teacher’s teaching style, and had a little trouble toward the beginning, but that’s beside the point. Anyway, because I was taking Algebra, I opted to test out of it and go directly to Geometry this year. I didn’t do fantastically on my test, so Geometry was made my only regular core class this year *gasp*. I didn’t get too upset, because I was doing very well and there were a few other freshman in the class also. 

    The problem really started when the teacher announced the test to get into Algebra II/trig honors next year. I qualified to test, which I was happy about because then I could finish all my calculus in high school rather than just one year of it. However, the class had limited spots, and honors geometry and sophmores had preferential placement. I was disappointed to learn that I had been cut from the class, and even more upset when informed that one girl had gotten in because she had done a fraction of a percent better than me in Geometry (because of extra credit). I’ll still be able to do one year of calculus, but the thing that really bugs me is that most of my friends will be in the honors class next year. I got into the AP Euro and Biology classes I wanted next year, but I’m still worried that this will hurt my GPA and my chances of getting into an Ivy League. Well, I can always hope someone will drop the class next year. See you later!


Wow, I sound like a brat, don't I? (the picture is from mentalfloss.com they sell it on great t-shirts. Go to their site, buy their stuff, don't let them sue me!)

1 comment: